Software Developer: Infrastructure focus (m/f/x)
Ecosia, or as we like to call it, the search engine that plants trees, is a groundbreaking social business and one of the first B-Corps in Europe. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to plant a billion native trees by 2020. So far our 7 million users have planted over 50 million trees with their 120 million monthly searches and we are growing and planting worldwide.
We are looking for a developer with a full-stack mindset and expertise in devops and infrastructure to join us in Berlin! As a software developer with an infrastructure focus, you’ll split your time between: coding on our products and applications with your product team; and working together with other infrastructure-focused developers from other teams to improve our Kubernetes-based infrastructure and developer workflow. Do you want to become part of an inspiring team and craft a product used by millions of users?
What you’ll do
- Maintain and improve our infrastructure codebase and share ownership of our production systems (using Kubernetes, Prometheus, Grafana, Nginx, and many others)
- Share on-call responsibilities with other members of the team (with compensation for participating, and time-off after incidents)
- Accelerate our developer workflow and productivity with tools, systems and processes (currently using Bazel, Jsonnet, Github, CircleCI)
- Be involved in decision-making regarding our cloud infrastructure (currently AWS, primarily using kops for Kubernetes)
- Help us foster a “software ownership” culture, including supporting or mentoring other developers with running code in production
What you bring
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You are familiar with Kubernetes, both as a developer of applications and as a cluster operator
- You have production experience with coding in Go, Python, or Node.js, and containerization using Docker
- You have experience with AWS or a similar cloud infrastructure provider, especially operating Kubernetes clusters
- You have experience with monitoring applications in production
- Bonus: You have experience with a monorepo build tool like Bazel
- You’re passionate about extending your skills and working on multiple stacks with the support of the team
- You care deeply about testing
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
What we offer
- A chance to help craft and develop a product used by millions of users
- Opportunity to use state of the art infrastructure tools and try out new tools and techniques, and contribute to open-source projects we use
- Be a member of a highly skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and help you develop your skills
- Space to add your expertise without being rigid about the way things need to be done
- Chance to be part of something meaningful
- Fair compensation package (including compensation for on-call) based on your skills and experience
- Phenomenal office in the heart of the Berlin
- Flexible working hours and location
- All the tools you need and perks like a free-book policy
- Weekly team breakfasts
- Oh, and coffee, and organic snacks and fruit, we have plenty of both
We recognise that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.
By submitting your application you are agreeing that your private details will be collected, stored securely and used for the purposes of recruitment. Here is a link to our privacy statement: https://info.ecosia.org/privacy.