Software Developer: Infrastructure focus (f/m/x)
Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the leading social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our vision to cultivate a more environmentally, socially and economically sustainable world, we want to plant one billion native trees by 2020. So far more than 7 million users have planted over 60 million trees. We are growing, planting and restoring vegetation worldwide!
We are looking for a developer with a full-stack mindset and expertise in DevOps and infrastructure to join us in Berlin! As a software developer with an infrastructure focus, you’ll split your time between coding on our products and applications with your product team and working together with other infrastructure-focused developers from other teams to improve our Kubernetes-based infrastructure and developer workflow. This is a fantastic opportunity to become part of an inspiring team and shape a product used by millions of users.
What you’ll do
- Maintain and improve our infrastructure codebase and share ownership of our production systems (using Kubernetes, Prometheus, Grafana, Nginx, and many others)
- Share on-call responsibilities with other members of the team (with compensation for participating, and time-off after incidents)
- Accelerate our developer workflow and productivity with tools, systems, and processes (currently using Docker, Github, CircleCI - for more, check out our Tech Radar)
- Be involved in decision-making regarding our cloud infrastructure (currently AWS and kops for Kubernetes, but with an eye to evaluate all cloud providers and managed Kubernetes services)
- Help us foster a “software ownership” culture, including supporting or mentoring other developers with running code in production
What you bring
- You have the ability to turn ideas into code that you are proud of
- You are familiar with Kubernetes, both as a developer of applications and as a cluster operator
- You have production experience with coding in one of Go, Python, or Node.js, and are comfortable with containerization using Docker
- You have experience with AWS or a similar cloud infrastructure provider, especially operating Kubernetes clusters
- You have experience with monitoring applications in production
- You’re interested in extending your skills and working on multiple stacks with the support of the team
- You care about testing
- You not only care about your work, but also about the people you’re doing it with
- You have respect for and share our core values
- You can speak and write English fluently (German not required)
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role.
Work for a purpose!
- Instead of working for an additional million to your CEO’s annual bonus, you'll add millions of trees for the planet you live on
- Your work will be used daily by millions of people across the globe
- Eco-activism is not expected, but fully supported by the company
Grow your expertise!
- Become a member of a diverse, highly-skilled, multi-functional team that’s eager to collaborate and change the world
- Opportunities and support for you to advance your professional growth
- Entrepreneurial environment open for your ideas and initiatives
Balance work with other sides of your life!
- Outstanding flexibility in terms of working hours and location
- Two no-meeting days per week, open for periods of remote work
- Possibility for reduced hours down to 30 hours per week
Get compensated well and fairly!
- A fair compensation package that reflects your skills and experience (55k-63k per year, based on your skills and experience, plus 4k per year for participating in the on-call rotation)
- 30 days holiday per year
- Subsidized public transport ticket, gym membership or your green-electricity bill
- Weekly team breakfasts, free vegetarian/vegan snacks, and drinks
How to apply
If you are interested, please submit your application along with the earliest date you can start at https://ecosia.workable.com/jobs/
Our hiring process consists of several steps:
- Quick first call with our recruiter
- Short (ideally less than 1 hour) assignment you can do in your own time
- Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues (can be remote)
- Half a day on-site, including a pair programming session and interviews with non-technical role
We are aware that this can be a time-intensive process and that not everyone has that much time available to them. If your free time is restricted (e.g. because you are taking care of children or relatives), please let us know and we will try to adjust our process.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to ethnicity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical disability or length of time spent unemployed.
By submitting your application you are agreeing that your private details will be collected, stored securely and used for the purposes of recruitment. Here is a link to our privacy statement: https://info.ecosia.org/privacy